Wednesday 8 January 2014

A tiny yarn along

Joining Ginny this week...

Approaching 39 weeks pregnant, and the amount I can get done is seriously diminishing! I am already six weeks more pregnant than I have ever been before, and I can't believe how much bigger I am! I feel like a walking time bomb, which is not so nice. In my head 'Madge was arriving over the Christmas break, so to be back doing the preschool run, swimming lessons etc. isn't sitting well in my head. I just want to sleep!


The abandoned Christmas knits remain abandoned in favour of baby knitting. I had a sudden panic about what the baby was going to wear to keep it warm at night, so I cast on a sweet little gown using some lovely Louisa Harding Ianthe 50% cotton/50% merino yarn. It's soft and delicious, and has a beautiful drapey texture for a baby knit. Plus, it is a discontinued yarn that I picked up for a steal on a site well-known for its lovely reductions! Sadly the lady I ordered lanolin from is on holiday until next week, so I won't be able to lanolise the little soakers until then, but there are two newborn size waiting to be done. They're so tiny and sweet! When this gown and maybe one more are done I will whip a couple up in the next size too. It's slow going though. I've made a couple of silly mistakes in the little gown already, just through being too tired to knit, and my brain is too addled to sort them out properly, so I have just bashed on. The baby won't notice, and actually probably nobody else will either.

I'm still reading The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, a couple of pages here and a couple of pages there. More often I am reading with Sausages, or he is reading board books to "his baby." Sweet, affectionate boy. Oh, and husband did shave off his "crunchy birth partner" beard. Sad; it was looking lovely! He wouldn't believe me though.

I hope you're having a lovely week, and not waddling around avoiding your phone in case you've had a text to ask "how you are" (everybody knows this is code for: "have you had that baby yet?" You're fooling nobody). Sausages has promised me the baby is coming "after Christmas, on Tuesday," so maybe I'll have something other than knitting to share next week (or the week after...or the week after that!)

Have a lovely week!

E

2 comments:

  1. Just followed your photo from Ginny's...I hope that baby comes soon, but not so soon as to miss those lovely hand knits. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear! I was exactly in your shoes this time almost 3 years ago. My little fella came out--healthy, almost 8 pounds, and not a bit "over-baked" despite his 42 weeks in my belly--as my favorite ever Valentine. Sending good thoughts for a wonderful birth!

    ReplyDelete